Full time temporary post: 6 weeks from 18th July to 29th August
Location: One World Shop, 25, Nicolson Square, Edinburgh EH8 9BX
Salary: £7.85 per hour
The Fair Trade Project Manager post is an exciting opportunity for an outgoing, energetic person to manage a unique project during the Edinburgh Festival at our city centre location. The aim of the post is to develop and deliver new ways to attract customers and promote sales of our Fair Trade and ethical products via a pop-up shop, creative signage, events, activities, an exhibition and other ideas. We are looking for someone creative and enthusiastic about sales and customer service, passionate about fair and ethical trade and interested in joining our retail company and social enterprise. Working with the Business Manager, Shop Manager and a team of volunteers you will form part of a dedicated team to bring this Festival project to a successful outcome.
Who are we?
One World Shop is a long established Fair Trade retail company and social enterprise, based in the centre of Edinburgh. Our focus is on supporting economically disadvantaged producer organisations in the global south through the sales of fair trade products. We sell a wide range of artisan crafts, recycled products, toys, interiors, foods and fashion accessories. The shop started trading in 1983 in small premises at St John’s Church in the west end. It has since grown to a successful business employing 6 staff and 20 volunteers.
- To plan and prepare the external space outside the shop incorporating a pop-up stall, signage and activities, also using the exhibition space in the adjoining Well Café.
- To develop a theme which makes a big impact for the influx of visitors, selecting a range of Fair Trade products to sell that will be effective and attractive given the restrictions of weather and space.
- Manage and motivate a small team of volunteers, including coordinating rota's and assigning tasks.
- To organise and manage a range of activities to attract people in and boost sales; e.g. chocolate tasting, African music, performances.
- To organise and manage the setting up and taking down of the pop-up tent each day.
- To promote and market the project via social media and generate ideas to ensure maximum exposure.
- To achieve and aim to exceed the daily sales target and manage the cashing up of the pop-up shop sales.
Training and support:
The One World Shop will provide:
- A thorough induction on-site of the buildings, computer systems, health, safety and fire precautions and employment conditions.
- Thorough training sessions on the till, EPOS system, products and customer service
- Understanding of the ethos and expectations of the company.
- Regular weekly reviews to see how progress is being made and if extra support is required.
- Daily support from staff members.
Learning and Development
The job holder will develop the skills and knowledge to run an exciting Edinburgh Festival project from start to finish. They will learn valuable team-leading skills while managing a group of volunteers from a variety of backgrounds and ages. They will develop excellent organisational skills and understand the complexities of running a social enterprise in a competitive, commercial market.
The job holder will also gain valuable knowledge of Fair Trade, the background to our products and how to convey this information to 100’s of visitors and customers in an effective way.
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Good organisational and project planning skills
- Experience of some event management
- Teamworking skills
- Ability to problem solve and use own initiative
- Some experience of selling
- Interest in Fair Trade
- Creative skills
- Experience of being a volunteer or working with volunteers
- Retail experience and customer service skills
Deadline for Applications: Friday 16th June 2017
To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com
Please ensure your files are saved as a pdf, or Microsoft Word file type.