We received the news about the impending development at St John’s Church with excitement and trepidation. The church is building a large glass extension above the shop, altering the hall and totally re-developing the terrace and south facing part of the church to modernise and improve accessibility. The work is due to start in the autumn of this year. As a result, the One World Shop needs to find temporary new premises for up to two years.
The One World Shop has been located at St John’s Church for 32 years so this is a big change and upheaval. We want to ensure that we continue to provide the support we have always done to our Fair Trade suppliers all over the world. We also want to ensure our customers have an uninterrupted supply of the widest range of Fair Trade products available in Scotland, and via our website throughout the UK, and to continue to keep our staff and volunteers working with us.
As well as providing a great outlet for Fair Trade food and gifts, the One World Shop runs an educational programme on the values of Fair Trade; we regularly visit schools, faith groups and community groups throughout Edinburgh and Glasgow giving talks, assemblies and workshops on how Fair Trade works in practice. We supply stalls and tuckshops of Fair Trade products to sell at their events and to other locations across Scotland. We also supply bulk Fair Trade tea and coffee to local offices. We want to continue to provide these services as usual and to ensure our Fair Trade work develops and increases during this time.
After supporting Fair Trade producers and promoting Fair Trade in the community for over 30 years we now need your support to ensure the One World Shop survives and grows throughout this change.
We are searching hard for new premises centrally located in Edinburgh. Ideally we would like to find premises by July and to do that we need to raise at least £20,000 by July 2015, this will cover:
- £5,000 for relocation
- £10,000 for refurbishing our new shop and office
- £5,000 rental deposit
That’s why we have launched this appeal.
Please consider helping us in any way you can, no donation is too small:
- Fundraise for the appeal by holding a Fair Trade coffee morning or a bake sale
- Organise a stall at your school and donate the proceeds
- Come up with your own unique fundraising ideas and contribute to the appeal
- Buy tickets for our raffle in the shop and/or request them to sell, or email us to request a pack
- Make a donation online at our website.
- Send us a cheque made payable to ‘One World Shop’
- Include Gift Aid in your donation if you are a UK taxpayer
- Spread the word: tell as many people as you can about our appeal by word of mouth, on social media or in any other way and ask them if they can contribute
Let us know if you can help in other ways, would like leaflets to distribute, know of premises that might be suitable or would like more information by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Rachel Farey directly at 0131 229 4542 or email: email@example.com
Keep checking in the shop and online for news about the appeal and our fundraising events. Signing up for our e-newsletter below is the easy way to do this!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT, IT MEANS THE WORLD TO US AND OUR FAIR TRADE SUPPLIERS