Availability: In stock
Experience the irresistible rhythms of reggae on this global musical journey from the Caribbean to Africa and beyond.
World Reggae (Re-Release) by Putumayo World Music
Putumayo World Music presents World Reggae, a collection of reggae-influenced tracks performed by artists from around the world. The tracks on World Reggae blend the upbeat and soulful groove of reggae with local influences to create new variations that will appeal to music lovers everywhere.
If music is the universal language, then reggae is its most widely spoken dialect. The irresistible offbeat shuffle and bouncing bass lines have earned fans around the globe, and there is practically no corner on Earth that has not been influenced by this Jamaican music style. Reggae’s syncopated beat fits well with most other musical styles and countless artists around the world have incorporated it into their music. While reggae has an engaging beat you can dance to, the music alone is not the sole reason for its worldwide popularity. Reggae has also long been a tool for social and political change.
1. Apache Indian - "Om Numah Shivaya" - (India/UK)
2. Toots & The Maytals - "I Gotta Woman" - (Jamaica)
3. No Te Va Gustar - "El Mismo Canal" - Uruguay
4. JeConte & the Mali Allstars - "Toumouranke" - (USA/Mali)
5. Hakiliman Si - "Lahara" - (France/Burkina Faso/Mali)
6. Analog Players Society - "Let the Music Play" - (USA)
7. Alê Muniz - "Maguinha do Sá Viana" - (Brazil)
8. Sacha Nairobi - "C’est Moi, C’est Toi" - (Venezuela)
9. Majek Fashek - "African Unity" - (Nigeria)
10. Kana - "Pas de Problèmes" - (France)
11. Kaïssa - "O Si Keka" - (Cameroon)
Record label Putumayo is committed to helping communities in the countries where the music originates and has contributed more than one million dollars to non-profit organisations around the world.